The Guest Support worker as an integral member of the interdisciplinary primary health team provides direct services to homeless or precariously housed individuals with mental health, physical health and addiction issues. The employees in these positions must build strong relationships with the Guests, provide de-escalation skills, and assist guests in programs and services, navigation and advocacy.
- Ensure Guest’s basic needs are met
- Build and maintain relationships with Guests, while maintaining clear and consistent boundaries
- Must be willing to work overnight on weeknights and weekends
- Ability to work closely with team members and medical professionals and participate effectively as part of a larger multi-disciplinary primary care team
- Any other duties as specified by the Director
- Although principally on call for work between 8:00 am and 8 pm, may have occasion to be called during the overnight shift
- The incumbent is responsible for the safe, effective and efficient delivery of services to The Gathering Place Guests. Application of organizational policies and processes pertaining to guest and workplace safety is expected
Qualifications / Responsibilities
- Education in health/mental health care or related field an asset
- Experience working in a shelter or supportive environment is considered an asset
- Knowledge of available and relevant community resources for marginalized persons
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized persons
- Possess a strong understanding of harm reduction and the principles of person-centred care
- Sound judgement and good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to diversity issues
- Strong desire to help the most vulnerable in our society, as shown through previous experience
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
Send Resume and cover letter to Valerie O’Connell at email@example.com by Monday, January 25th, 2021.
The Gathering Place appreciates all applications, however, only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
At The Gathering Place, we believe that all employees should understand we exist to help those who need it most and that ‘kindness wanted’ is more than just words, it is the foundation of who we are as an organization. As such, The Gathering Place looks to hire people who are both qualified and social-minded.