About The Gathering Place
The Gathering Place’s mission is to provide low barrier, street level supports for marginalized individuals through collaborative partnerships and engagement. As a non-profit, community health centre, The Gathering Place provides integrated health and social services to individuals who are homeless or precariously housed. We are rooted in respect, the promotion of personal dignity, and care to all persons. The Gathering Place is an equal opportunity employer.
The Guest Support Worker is an integral member of the interdisciplinary team who is often the first point of contact for the Guests. This position offers support to individuals who are homeless or precariously housed and often dealing with mental health, physical health and/or addiction issues. The employees in these positions must build strong relationships with the Guests, assist Guests in accessing services and use de-escalation skills as needed. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring Guests’ basic needs are met
- Building and maintaining positive working relationships with Guests, while maintaining clear and consistent boundaries
- Ability to work closely with team members and medical professionals
- Participate effectively as part of a larger multi-disciplinary primary health care team
- Safe and effective delivery of services to Guests. Applying organizational policies and processes pertaining to guest and workplace safety is expected
- On call shifts (Must be willing to work flexible hours including nights, evenings, and weekends):
- Shelter: between 8pm and 8am; and/or
- Day programming: between 8:00 am and 8 pm.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Education in health/mental health care or related field
- Experience working in a shelter, residential setting, and/or a supportive environment
- Knowledge of available and relevant community resources for marginalized persons
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized persons
- Possess a strong understanding of harm reduction and the principles of person-centered care
- Sound judgement and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to diversity issues
- Strong desire to help the most vulnerable in our society, as shown through previous experience
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
Equivalencies will be considered.
- Competitive hourly rate
- Opportunity to transition for part-time/full-time when positions become available
Please submit your application to Recruitment@gatheringstjohns.ca.
We believe that all employees should understand we exist to help those who need it most and that “kindness wanted” is more than just words, it is the foundation of who we are as an organization. As such, The Gathering Place looks to hire people who are qualified and social-minded.
The Gathering Place appreciates all applications, however, only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.