The Gathering Place is currently seeking applications for Guest Support positions in its Overnight Shelter as well as its Daytime services. The Guest Support worker is an integral member of the interdisciplinary team who is often the first point of contact for the Guests. They offer support to individuals who are homeless or precariously housed and often dealing with mental health, physical health and/or addiction issues. The employees in these positions must build strong relationships with the Guests, assist Guests in accessing services and use de-escalation skills as needed.
- Ensure Guest’s basic needs are met
- Build and maintain relationships with Guests, while maintaining clear and consistent boundaries
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Ability to work closely with team members and medical professionals and participate effectively as part of a larger multi-disciplinary primary health care team
- Any other duties as specified by the Director
- Be on call for shifts in the shelter between 8pm and 8am and/or on call for work in the day programming between 8:00 am and 8 pm.
- The incumbent is responsible for the safe, effective and efficient delivery of services to The Gathering Place Guests. Application of organizational policies and processes pertaining to Guest and workplace safety is expected.
Qualifications / Responsibilities:
- Education in health/mental health care or related field is an asset
- Experience working in a shelter or supportive environment is considered an asset
- Knowledge of available and relevant community resources for marginalized persons
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized persons
- Possess a strong understanding of harm reduction and the principles of person-centered care
- Sound judgement and good problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to diversity issues
- Strong desire to help the most vulnerable in our society, as shown through previous experience
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
To Apply: Send Resume and cover letter to Kim Grant at email@example.com
Closing Date: Open