The Gathering Place’s mission is to provide critical, barrier-free, street level supports and healthcare for marginalized individuals through collaborative partnerships and engagement. As a non-profit, street level, community health centre, The Gathering Place provides primary health care along with our community partners, to thousands of people who are homeless or precariously housed, through health and social supports in an inclusive, low barrier setting. We are rooted in respect, the promotion of personal dignity, and care to all persons. The Gathering Place is an equal opportunity employer.
The Dental Assistant and Office Administrator position is an integral member of The Gathering Place team and critical contact for assisting the Guests with access to the Dental Program through advocacy and navigation. This position coordinates with a range of team members who work collaboratively to assess, treat and support Guests. Employment will be up to full-time hours, 3-5 days per week.
Essential Duties and Primary Responsibilities
- Assist the Dentist in delivery of care in the Dental Clinic
- Prepare the dental treatment operatory to receive and treat patients
- Prepare post-procedure clinical notes and prepare future treatment plans in the dental management computer system
- Monitor working order of dental operatory, identify equipment malfunctions
- Prepare dental instruments for reprocessing
- Sterilize dental instruments according to Canadian Dental Association Guidelines
- Arrange and prepare dental treatment trays, equipment and materials
- Complete billings to MCP and other Insurance providers or government programs as appropriate
- Maintain an inventory of dental supplies, instruments and equipment to specified level
- Book appointments for patients requiring treatment in the Dental Clinic
- Coordinate Volunteer Dentists, Hygienists & Dental Assistants
- Promoting the Clinic within the Dental Community
- Other duties related to the Dental Clinic as required
- Build and maintain relationships with Guests, while maintaining clear and consistent boundaries
- Foster a safe, non-judgemental environment for Guests
- Provide de-escalation skills and remain vigilant for behaviours or actions that could become a safety concern for Guests, Volunteers or Staff
- Ability to work closely with team members and medical professionals and participate effectively as part of a larger multi-disciplinary primary care team
- Responsible for the safe, effective and efficient delivery of services to TGP Guests. Application of organizational policies and processes pertaining to guest and workplace safety is expected.
- This position reports to the Director of Guest Support & Empowerment, as well as to the NLDA.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Licensure through the Newfoundland Dental Board.
- Minimum of one year on the job experience
- Knowledge of dental software programs
- Knowledge of government assistance programs and how they are billed as it relates to dental procedures
- Education in health/mental health care or related field is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized persons
- Possess a strong understanding of harm reduction and the principles of person-centered care
- Sound judgement and good problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
We believe that all employees should understand we exist to help those who need it most and that “kindness wanted” is more than just words, it is the foundation of who we are as an organization. As such, The Gathering Place looks to hire people who are qualified and social-minded.
To apply please send your resume to Amanda Squires at the NLDA by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for resumes is Thursday, July 22, 2021.