The Gathering Place’s mission is to provide critical, barrier-free, street level supports and healthcare for marginalized individuals through collaborative partnerships and engagement. As a non-profit, street level, community health centre, The Gathering Place provides primary health care along with our community partners, to thousands of people who are homeless or precariously housed, through health and social supports in an inclusive, low barrier setting. We are rooted in respect, the promotion of personal dignity, and care to all persons. The Gathering Place is an equal opportunity employer.
The Dental Assistant and Office administrator position is an integral member of The Gathering Place team and critical contact for assisting the Guests with access to the Dental Program through advocacy and navigation. This position coordinates with a range of team members who work collaboratively to assess, treat and support Guests.
Essential Duties and Primary Responsibilities
- Assist the dentist in delivery of care in the clinic
- Prepare dental treatment room to receive and treat patients
- Prepare post-procedure clinical notes and prepare future treatment plans in dental management computer system
- Monitor working order of dental room equipment and notifies the Outreach Committee of equipment malfunctions
- Prepare dental instruments for reprocessing
- Sterilize dental instruments according to Canadian Dental Association Guidelines
- Arrange and prepare dental treatment trays, equipment and materials
- Complete billings to MCP and other Insurance providers as appropriate.
- Maintain an inventory of dental supplies, instruments and equipment to specified level
- Book appointments for patients requiring treatment in the dental clinic
- Coordinate Volunteer Dentists, Hygienists & Dental Assistants
- Other related duties for the dental clinic as required
- If the needs of the clinic are reduced, there is an expectation to develop relationships with the Guests through a Guest Support role.
- Developing relationships is critical, helping Guests navigate the dental service and ensuring that there were Guests to be seen in the clinic.
- Build and maintain relationships with Guests, while maintaining clear and consistent boundaries
- Foster a safe, non-judgemental environment for Guests.
- Provide de-escalation skills and remain vigilant for behaviours or actions that could become a safety concern for Guests, Volunteers or staff
- Ability to work closely with team members and medical professionals and participate effectively as part of a larger multi-disciplinary primary care team
- Must be available for flexible hours including weekdays, evenings, weekends and holiday coverage when required.
- Responsible for the safe, effective and efficient delivery of services to TGP Guests. Application of organizational policies and processes pertaining to guest and workplace safety is expected.
- Other related duties for the Guest Support Worker Team as well as assist with special projects and data entry as required.
- This position reports to the Director of Guest Support & Empowerment, as well as to the NLDA.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Licensure through the Newfoundland Dental Board.
- Minimum of one year on the job experience
- Education in health/mental health care or related field is considered an asset
- Work experience working in a related environment is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized persons
- Possess a strong understanding of harm reduction and the principles of person-centered care
- Sound judgement and good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to diversity issues
- Strong desire to help the most vulnerable in our society, as shown through previous experience
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
We believe that all employees should understand we exist to help those who need it most and that “kindness wanted” is more than just words, it is the foundation of who we are as an organization. As such, The Gathering Place looks to hire people who are qualified and social-minded.
To apply please email your resume to Amanda Squires at the NLDA: email@example.com.
Deadline for resumes is Sunday, May 30, 2021.