The Gathering Place’s mission is to provide critical, barrier-free, street level supports and healthcare for marginalized individuals through collaborative partnerships and engagement.
As a non-profit, street level, community health centre, The Gathering Place provides primary health care along with our community partners, to thousands of people who are homeless or precariously housed, through health and social supports in an inclusive, low barrier setting. We are rooted in respect, the promotion of personal dignity, and care to all persons. The Gathering Place is an equal opportunity employer.
The Guest Support Worker is an integral member of The Gathering Place team and the first point of contact for assisting Guests with programs and services, navigation and advocacy. The position provides access to a range of team members who work collaboratively to assess, treat and support Guests.
Essential Duties and Primary Responsibilities
- Act as a Guest navigator within The Gathering Place
- Play a pivotal role in the delivery of programs and services as the first point of contact for Guests and their needs
- Build and maintain relationships with Guests, while maintaining clear and consistent boundaries
- Foster a safe, non-judgemental environment for Guests.
- Provide de-escalation skills and remain vigilant for behaviours or actions that could become a safety concern for Guests, Volunteers or Staff
- Ability to work closely with team members and medical professionals and participate effectively as part of a larger multi-disciplinary primary care team
- Ability to work collaboratively with Volunteers
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be available for flexible hours including weekdays, evenings, weekends and holiday coverage when required.
- Responsible for the safe, effective and efficient delivery of services to TGP Guests. Application of organizational policies and processes pertaining to Guest and workplace safety is expected.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Education in health/mental health care or related field is considered an asset
- Work experience working in a related environment is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized persons
- Possess a strong understanding of harm reduction and the principles of person-centered care
- Sound judgement and good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrate understanding and sensitivity to diversity issues
- Strong desire to help the most vulnerable in our society, as shown through previous experience
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
We believe that all employees should understand we exist to help those who need it most and that “kindness wanted” is more than just words, it is the foundation of who we are as an organization. As such, The Gathering Place looks to hire people who are qualified and social-minded.
We will be hiring a number of Guest Support Worker positions, up to full time hours. Job closing end of day Monday, July 26, 2021. Submission can be made to David Mandville at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted further.