About The Gathering Place
The Gathering Place’s mission is to provide low barrier, street level supports for marginalized individuals through collaborative partnerships and engagement. As a non-profit, community health centre, The Gathering Place provides integrated health and social services to individuals who are homeless or precariously housed. We are rooted in respect, the promotion of personal dignity, and care to all persons. The Gathering Place is an equal opportunity employer.
The Gathering Place provides breakfast, dinner, and supper for over 2000 guests, seven days a week. The meal program is an integral part of chronic illness management program. This position performs general kitchen duties including food preparation, food services and cleaning, understanding that flexibility is essential in this fast-paced environment. Reporting to the Kitchen Supervisor, duties include:
- Basic knowledge of food handling and safety
- Attention to detail regarding cleanliness
- Working collaboratively with volunteer crews, Guests, team members, and other staff and clients
- Maintaining and cleaning equipment
- Receiving deliveries
- Ability to work with marginalized and vulnerable persons
- Experience cooking large volume meals
- Strong communication skills
- The incumbent is responsible for the safe, effective, and efficient delivery of services to The Gathering Place Guests.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Certification on standards and expectations of a commercial kitchen
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Professional, and self motivated
- Trustworthy, reliable, dependable
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Clear Record of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check
Equivalencies will be considered.
- Competition Number: 2021 AC 006 (please quote in application)
- Competitive hourly rate
Please submit your application to Recruitment@gatheringstjohns.ca by Sunday, October 31, 2021.
We believe that all employees should understand we exist to help those who need it most and that “kindness wanted” is more than just words, it is the foundation of who we are as an organization. As such, The Gathering Place looks to hire people who are qualified and social-minded.
The Gathering Place appreciates all applications, however, only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.